Monday, June 21, 2010

I'm fluent

Saturday, I got up early to meet the YSA to go on a hike. Yes, a real life hike in the mountains of the Blue Hills Reservation. It took us 23 minutes to get to the top of a hill that looked out over Boston. We stopped at the top to rest from the elevation gain, when a man and his red-haired son and daughter arrived. He asked us, "anybody want some coffee?" When we laughed he told us they caught frogs and put them in a coffee cup to surprise their mom with. With or without the frogs, he wasn't going to find any takers. We moved onward for a bit to find a pick nick spot and frogs, and had a nice long lunch there. It was a green and shaded.



We arrived back at the church and the girls sat and chatted on the grass. We heard the full story of how one of the girls met her fiancee, who was in the ward. Then I insisted we go get ice cream, which was delicious, especially because it was a hot day.
Came home, showered, left again.
Into the city again to meet the 7 of the remaining hikers at the movie theater. Walking to the theater, my brothers called to inform me they had just seen Tiger Woods playing in the U.S. Open. I exclaimed, "You just saw Tiger Woods?" and the surrounding pedestrians gawked. I think I'll start exclaiming more things like that in public, true or not. The Karate Kid–loved it. I was pumped after. Jaden Smith. China. Hang your jacket up. Jackie Chan.
After, the crew hopped on the light rail for two stops until we reached the north end. The north end is the Italian district of Boston and we were on the search for Mike's Pastry Shop. Found it and it was packed. Lines out the door and it was 11:30 at night. The whole north end was bustling with people. Restaurants crowded. People sitting outside with large wine glasses. Most of the people looked like characters from a Tomie Depaola book, if you remember those. We each ordered the infamous Cannoli and I got the chocolate mouse filled one. We made our way through the crowd and back to a table in the park to enjoy our cannoli's. Surprisingly, no one said, "holy cannoli," the whole duration of our flight. We enjoyed our holy cannoli's, watched Dustin, the world's 33 best yo-yoer, do his tricks, then headed home.




The subway was crowded and there was a group of loud German girls. I just assumed they too had seen the Karate Kid, but Jessica informed me they were either drunk or high. They weren't as pleasant as the Asian girl that sat across from me doing her whole make-up routine  on the way into the city. I took a picture of her on my phone. I'll have to upload that.
I made it to my car just before the trains stopped running.

No comments:

Post a Comment