Sunday, June 27, 2010

There is a Fourth Cat

Friday.
I met up with friends from church, Ashley and Jerom, to go play soccer at a park near Fenway Stadium. It was a nice turf field complete with the little black balls that get in your shoes. We arrived there late, because I was late again, and the park was full of people. I would say three games of soccer going on with about 20 people playing per game–all pick-up games. There were also those doing softball batting practice and the occasional jogger.
We didn't get on the field immediately due to the amount of people, which was a good thing. I was still getting use to the idea that everyone playing looked like they were from a country where soccer, in this case futbol, was religion. Or even just from a different country. Nervous? Yes. How did we get invited you might ask? Chris, from the Caribbean, is a friend from church that invites the ward members to play with his team. So we went. I was most definitely the only white girl out of both teams. Mexicans, Asians, Africans, Spanish looking men, you name it. Playing in the shadow of the city of Boston, I felt like I finally earned the shirt that Ally gave me for my birthday, I AM so Hood.
The opposing team wore skins and the man on the other team playing on my side the field, looked like an Under Armour athlete. The only click-clacking I'd be doing would be a cry for an electric blanket. I never even owned that book. Get your own electric blankets. Anyways, he was and Under Armour athlete minus the actual Under Armour because they were skins plus sweat. Frightening. But we played, and it was fun. My team was down for most the game. We scored which gave us a second wind and continued to play until we couldn't see anymore because it was so dark.
After the game, me, Ashley and Jerom (Asian), Chris (Caribbean), Ulysses (from west Africa doing research at Harvard) and Neville (grew up in India and speaks 2 languages fluently and 3 other languages sufficiently) went to Chipotle for dinner. The conversation mainly centered around the World Cup and they invited us to watch it with them Saturday. They were fun to hang out with.
We parted from there and Ashley and I went to get ice cream. We didn't even really discuss it. It's like we both knew that it was ice cream time. We walked to J.P. Licks on the famous Newbury Steet and I got Black Raspberry Chip with Brownie. It was delicious. I came home and fell asleep in my clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment